Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading media server from 5.0.5 to 6.5.2

2009-03-04 13:27:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading media server from 5.0.5 to 6.5.2
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:14:42 -0600
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Pranav <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

We are also planning to attach a lto4 library with this.
So ,does this library can read lto2 tapes if we need to restore something.

Can I use LTO 4 media in my LTO 1, 2 and 3 drives?
No. LTO1, 2 and 3 drives are unable to read or recognize LTO4 media. LTO4 media can only be used in LTO4 drives.

Can I use LTO 1, 2 and 3 media in my LTO 4 drive?
According to drive manufacturer, LTO 4 format is backwards compatible with LTO 2 and 3 data cartridges only. This means LTO 2 and LTO 3 media may be both read in an LTO 4 drive, but backwards write compatibility is limited to LTO3 media.

LTO 4 WORM cartridge:
LTO 4 WORM cartridge can only be used in an LTO4 drive equipped with WORM functionality.

Google would have answered this fairly quickly for you.

   .../Ed