Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Schedule SQL Log backup in Netbackup

2009-02-05 15:48:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Schedule SQL Log backup in Netbackup
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Suresh_Natarajan AT toyota DOT com
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:02:03 -0600
On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:19 PM, <Suresh_Natarajan AT toyota DOT com> wrote:

We are in the process of setting up the SQL Hotbackup agent policies using Netbackup.  We are looking for a method to do the below:

1. When a Full or Differential SQL backup is starting & till the jobs completes, we want  SQL log Netbackup policy to be disabled.? How do i do this? the below is the order i want to do it.

a) When a Full backup or diff. is started from the Netbackup policy.,
First step: deactivate/disable the SQL Log policy in netbackup
Second. step : Run the full or diff backup
Third step:  once the jobs is completed , then activate/enable the SQL Log policy in netbackup

I really don't think you want to do this - the process looks error prone and I expect that if you go down this route you'll find yourself with disabled backup policies when they should be enabled.  To make matters worse, it will be your sql log policies which means you won't be able to restore if anything does go wrong and I really do expect that you'll not realize it until after you need to do a restore and it's too late.

Use a NetBackup SQL agent and put it in control.
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org