Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Speaking of tape libraries.. SL8500 vs. SCI2K (SCALAR I2000)?

2009-01-29 17:17:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Speaking of tape libraries.. SL8500 vs. SCI2K (SCALAR I2000)?
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:58:42 -0600

Hey Justin,

We use both. I think it depends on what you want out of the library. Both libraries are rock solid and have only had the occaisional drive/robot problem. With the SL8500, there is the option for multiple handbots, and even redundant handbots in case one dies. If you want true library redundancy and really can't stand to be down, this is the one to get. The SL8500 also has a base config of 64 drives/10,000 slots and massive scalability to 448 drives/70,000 slots if you want to go connecting them together! Even the base configuration of this library is a behemoth and that is something you'll need to consider in your data center.

Another option, if you don't need something this large, but still want robot redundancy is the SL3000, which scales to 56 drives/3000 slots. One drawback to these STK libraries is they require an ACSLS server. Not a big deal, but just one more thing to worry about. There's also the 3-way drive locating convention (ACS, library, and SLConsole) that STK can't standardize on (just a little annoyed lol). I made a cheat sheet and would be happy to share if you want it.

If you want to pin me down to one, all other things aside, I'd go with the SL8500 or the SL3000. My next choice would be the i2K.

HTH,

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

01/28/2009 05:34 AM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Speaking of tape libraries.. SL8500 vs. SCI2K (SCALAR        I2000)?

Hi all,

Does anyone on this list use a SCI2K (SCALAR I2000) (LTO/3000 slot
library)?

How does this compare in terms of redundancy and performance to an SL8500?

Which would you recommend?

Justin.