Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN backup status

2009-01-16 16:13:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN backup status
From: <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com>
To: <wts AT maine DOT edu>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:01:25 -0600
2 + 2 makes 4 cents.

I also have user backups of my oracle ( and informix) databases.

The policies have "user" schedules.
The scripts are on each of the servers with the database.

The scripts are scheduled via cron.

The scripts do the backup of the database, and in my scripts I check
return codes.

So if the backups fail anywhere my testing for return codes will send an
email to the DBA's that the database backup failed.  The Netbackup
people also get the emails.  So in the morning I can verify that if I
got a failed backup; that the dba's fixed it and reran it.

I rely more on my scripts to test at each stage then to just hope the
master tells me what I want to know.

Using the scripts give us more control, and gives the DBA's more control
without having to give them access to the Netbackup console.