Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Sepaton

2009-01-14 08:39:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Sepaton
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Patrick" <netbackup AT whelan-consulting.co DOT uk>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:28:11 -0500

Sepaton presented themselves to us as an alternative to Data Domain (data deduplication on hard drives).   When I read the info they sent me it seemed that I’d have to buy at least as much storage as I already had because first copy isn’t compressed.   We didn’t have the floor space for that so didn’t pursue it.   Data Domain on the other hand compresses and dedupes so using much smaller units than it seemed Sepaton was suggesting allowed us to do the compression and deduplication.

You might also look at EMC’s offerings for data deduplication.  They’ve been pushing them but we haven’t looked into them since we’d already gone the DD route.