Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question Regarding Linux 2.6 kernel udev rules for tape devices

2009-01-12 12:11:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question Regarding Linux 2.6 kernel udev rules for tape devices
From: Peter DrakeUnderkoffler <pcd AT xinupro DOT com>
To: Jonathan Dyck <jdyck AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:01:01 -0500

The option in the vm.conf

ENABLE_AUTO_PATH_CORRECTION

will take care of what you need between reboots as it has reconfigured
without issue for me with a 2.6 AMD64 kernel for more that 2 years.
So if all underlying drivers and SANs have been configured correctly, then
a /dev/nst# set of character devices have been created.  Once you configure
them in the gui or tpconfig, NBU will perform a scsi query and attach the
outputed serial number to that tape devices.  With the above configuration
option, it will adjust the tape name to the new /dev/nst# on reboot if there
was a change.

If you want to go down the route of udev, the default configuration will
point to /dev/tape%e but the NBU tape drive configuration tools I don't think
will recognize anything but the no rewind devices (/dev/nst?) format although
I've never tried.

It looks like you may be on a RH4 based on your kernel version.  FYI, the udev
and multipathd implementation in RH5 was cleaned up quite a bit from and admin's
management perspective.

Thanks
Peter

Peter DrakeUnderkoffler