Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question Regarding Linux 2.6 kernel udev rules for tape devices

2009-01-08 15:49:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question Regarding Linux 2.6 kernel udev rules for tape devices
From: "Jonathan Dyck" <jdyck AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:37:47 -0500
Hello all,
I'm building a new NBU 6.5 environment on RedHat...

[root@<>dev]# uname -a
Linux <>2 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 16:36:54 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
and am trying to wrap my head around the FC-SCSI tape device configuration.  I have seen/heard mention that udev rules should be create to ensure that persistent naming occurs in the event that the server gets rebooted, SAN changes are made, new devices are added, etc

The way I understand things, the following is the method to get things working on the server side:
1) Kernel detects tape scsi devices and creates /dev/nst## device files (and /dev/st## device files)
    ie: /dev/nst1

2) Links are created via the default udevrules , create "tape" device symlinks.
    ie: tape81 -> nst23a

3) Run "/dev/MAKEDEV sg" to create the sg links that Netbackup needs to populate the device database
    Question here: does the MAKEDEV command look for /dev/nst devices?  Or is it based on the "tape#" symlinks described above?

If the answer is that is uses the symlinks, then I think I understand how the udev rules would be used (scsi_id -g -u -s <nst device> used to get the scsi inquiry string, create a rules so that the result of that inquiry always creates the same tape#).  If not, could someone enlighten me?

Cheers,
Jon

La version française suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately from

Le présent courriel peut contenir de l'information privilégiée ou confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires désignés est interdite. Si vous recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer immédiatement et envoyer sans délai à
l'expéditeur un message électronique pour l'aviser que vous avez éliminé de votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel reçu.