Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape media destruction questions.

2009-01-07 10:04:56
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape media destruction questions.
From: James Osbourn <jo4 AT sanger.ac DOT uk>
To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:54:32 +0000
I the past when I have had to get rid of a bunch of old media.  I did
some net searching and found a company that specifically dealt with this
as well as equipment recycling.

They agreed a price for the amount of tapes that I had; collected them
and then they were confidentially destroyed.  I believe they were put in
a furnace.  We were then issued with a certificate of destruction as proof.

This avoided any messing around with degaussing, erasing etc.

James

Justin Piszcz wrote:
> Had a few questions.
>
> 1. How do you handle it?
> 2. You can send tapes off-site to Iron Mountain, degauss them before you
> send them off-site, that is one option.
> 3. How much are the machines that "securely" and physically destroy the
> tape media?
> 4. If they're physically destroyed, how do you deal with the tape shards,
> how do you dispose of the material?
>
> How do others on this list deal with bad tapes (with thousands of errors
> etc) how do you properly dispose of them?
>
> Justin.

Systems Administrator
Backups & Storage Team
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute