Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.5.3 Windows Java GUI for the Admin Console

2009-01-06 18:09:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.5.3 Windows Java GUI for the Admin Console
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: bob944 AT attglobal DOT net
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:59:52 -0600

Bob, I have to disagree with you, for once. You can only use the java version with that same major revision; it is not backwards compatible to other revision levels (6.5 is not backwards compatible to 6.0 or lower, etc.). The java client is forward and backwards compatible within the same major revision - for the most part, there are things that may not work/populate if the Master is at a higher level than the Java client. I made this suggestion for backwards compatibility at the users forum, but it didn't sound like there would be much work put into it as the new user interface will take care of this.

As stated, installing them to separate directories does the trick when multiple java versions/patch levels are needed on the same workstation.

If you are not able to change the install directory, edit this key in the registry to contain the path that you want to install to:
HKLM\Software\VERITAS\NetBackup - java (NB-Java)\InstallPath

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

01/01/2009 05:30 PM
Please respond to
bob944 AT attglobal DOT net

<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.5.3 Windows Java GUI for the Admin Console

> Thanks, but I need to be able to support multiple
> versions...like 6.0, 6.5, 6.5.2, and 6.5.3 as well as....

IME, all patch/MP versions are backwards compatible within that major
version (5.1, 6.0, 6.5).  It's possible, even likely, that each major
version understands the previous versions so that you could use, say, a
6.5 jdc to admin your 6.5 master and a 6.0 and a 5.x media server.
Install the 6.5.3 patch as recommended and tell us.

When in doubt, you can always install to separate directories

c:\program files\veritas\jav51
c:\program files\veritas\jav60
c:\program files\veritas\jav65

Note:  it used to be that you couldn't choose the windows installation
option to change the java admin console installation path if a version
was already installed to the default (c:\program files\veritas?); you'd
have to uninstall that one first.  Since then, I install each major
version to its own directory as above.

> Legato 7.x and Backup Express 2.3x and 3.x

Can't help you with that.