Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.5.3 on Windows and VMWARE Backups

2009-01-06 12:07:09
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.5.3 on Windows and VMWARE Backups
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:56:00 -0500
> I am configuring VCB backups for NBU 6.5.3, for
> FlashBackup-Windows policy, there are 4 options for backup
> types under Snapshot Client Options. These are
>
> 0 - File
> 1 - FullVM
> 2 - Mapped FullVM
> 3 - FullVM and File for Incrementals
>
> >From reading the docs, "Option 3 - FullVM and File for
> Incrementals", looks like best of both world,
> it will let me restore single files and restore full guest
> VM. It also allows incremental level backups.
> Is there any disadvantage when using it compraed to other types.
> I am trying to avoid running 2 or more backups to completely
> protect a VM.

"3" is the correct choice; it does exactly what the manual says it does:
a snapshot backup of the vmdk for a full (and from which you can restore
individual files or the whole VM), and a "normal," file-based backup for
incrementals.  Set up the schedules in the same policy, throw windows
and clients at it and it will work like you expect NetBackup to work.
It worked as advertised in my test environment, though my restore
testing was minimal.

An aside:  Restoring files to VMs is, to somebody not used to VMware,
kludgy, so do read up on how to restore and test that part before you
need it.