Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NCVU download for NBU 6.5.1?

2008-12-19 15:53:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NCVU download for NBU 6.5.1?
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:35:39 -0500

Well I think I figured out the socket errors.

We have a backup LAN defined and on the master we have two NICs on that LAN.  For some reason it appears a lot of the traffic that formerly went out the first NIC (which is what we have in local hosts files on the clients defined for the master’s name) are going out the second NIC so it isn’t being recognized as the correct name.

I was able to make the backups work by changing IP in local hosts on client to that of second NIC from master.   I was also able to make the backups work by reverting local hosts to the IP of the first NIC from master and downing the second NIC so it couldn’t use that.

Does anyone know what effect it would have if I put both NICs in local hosts on clients so that either IP looked up would result in the same master host name?   Alternatively does anyone know a way I can insure the master uses the first NIC when talking to specific clients?

Our intent is to setup auto port aggregation on the master eventually to try to increase throughput to the Data Domain.   (The master is HP-UX, APA is network bonding somewhat like bonding in Linux.)  We’re not quite there yet.

Also – I found an nbproxy process with nothing but CLOSE_WAITS to the various hosts that had had the socket errors.  I had to kill -9 that to make it go away.  Does anyone know where I can find info on this nbproxy.  It was a child of other nbproxy processes and seeing it only had CLOSE_WAITS on it made me think it safe to kill.