Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Move

2008-12-14 00:28:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Move
From: "Mike Day" <mike.day AT inovis DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:19:00 -0800

I knew the hostname was critical, and that was why I was not going to change it.  My knowledge of domains is on the Windows side so I didn’t think changing the server name from ‘netbackup.old.com’ to ‘netbackup.new.com’ when both Windows AD domains are fully trusted.

The old domain was to be retired eventually but I should be able to keep the hostname = ‘netbackup.old.com’ if that is necessary.  We can always just run the old Windows DC on a vmware server since this will be the only server left.

After the backups are setup and running smoothly for a few weeks I intend to upgrade to Netbackup 6.5 or the latest version.  The retention of the tapes from my catalog that I need to keep from the old office is one year.  Can I change the name to ‘netbackup.new.com’ after that media retires?

I suppose I should be able to create an alias in AD Windows DNS to ‘netbackup.new.com’ if necessary so that seems like I need to add that to my steps so I can resolve the new clients to the ‘netbackup.new.com’ name.  Correct?

Is that the only obvious problem with my plan?  I can keep the old domain.

Thanks for your reply!