Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Encryption - LTO-4 or Media Server

2008-12-11 15:13:49
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Encryption - LTO-4 or Media Server
From: "Peacock Dennis - dpeaco" <Dennis.Peacock AT acxiom DOT com>
To: "Peacock Dennis - dpeaco" <Dennis.Peacock AT acxiom DOT com>, "Jeffery Price" <jeffery.price AT aes DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:49:53 -0600

OK…here’s the numbers:

No software encryption – 60 MB per sec per tape drive

With software encryption – 6 MB per sec per tape drive

CPU load with 128 bit encryption – (normal system load is 0.89%) to 20.83% load average

Load average went from 20.83% to 28.97% when switched from 128 bit to 256 bit encryption.

There is a tad bit of “lag time” when software encryption is turned on and used during backup.

Thank You,

Dennis Peacock

EBCA

Acxiom Corporation