Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master server...Hardware migration

2008-12-03 15:22:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master server...Hardware migration
From: "Spellacy, Sean" <Sean.Spellacy AT viha DOT ca>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:56:41 -0800

Greetings good people.

Long time lurker, first time caller so to speak. So  thanks in advance

Currently running  2 x NBU master domains(prod,nonprod). Both NBU 6.5.2 on 2k3 x64 enterprise in a master/media  active/passive MSCS clusters.

There is the need however to do some hardware juggling.

The plan in a nutshell is:

 -To migrate the few nonprod clients onto the prod.

-Recycle the non prod cluster into stand alone media servers for prod. Nonprod DBs can be lost.

-Create a new active/passive master server cluster on new hardware.

-Restore hot DB bak to new hardware with old shutdown (rollback)

-Recycle old prod hardware to media servers prod.

-Rebuild nonprod next fiscal maybe (new test environment).

My question is regarding the taboo regarding changing host names for master servers.

Since I am running NBU as a clustered app do I only need to keep the Netbackup virtual server name the same in my master move?

Do the actual node host names of the cluster affect Netbackup?

And of course

Am I missing anything else or are there any gotchas I should be made aware of?

Still pretty new to NBU so your comments, insights and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks again

SSS