Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup migration from 5.0 to 6.5, with server name change

2008-12-02 15:58:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup migration from 5.0 to 6.5, with server name change
From: kxie <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 11:33:59 -0500
Hello, very new to the NBU world. This is my first post here.  I need to
migrate/upgrade our existing 5.0MP3 netbackup to 6.5.

Here is my setup

Old server: Netbackup 5.0MP3 (running on a single linux box) connected to a
SCSI tape library.
New Server: Netbackup 6.5.2 on linux, 1 master, and 1 media server

New servers will have new sernames, from what I have gathered so far here is
the rough plan.

1. install NBU 5.1 on one master and one media server (my understanding is
db/catalogs file are unchanged from 5.0 to 5.1)

2. add the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = oldservername newservername to bp.conf
*import the master server catalog files from 5.0MP3 to the 5.1 Master server.
then
*import media server catalog files from 5.0MP3 to the 5.1 media server.
Question: since I won't be connecting the tape library to the new media just
yet, should I use recover or import?)

3. Verify it works, then upgrade from 5.1 to 6.5

Are these the correct steps to do the job? Any suggestion?

Thanks

Kai Xie
kai.xie AT globalinsight DOT com