Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Speeding up media commands

2008-11-14 06:18:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Speeding up media commands
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: James Pattinson <jamesp AT hisser DOT org>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 05:59:46 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, James Pattinson wrote:

> All,
>
> My enviroment is at 6.5.2A upgraded from 5.1 a couple of months ago. We
> had a clean consistency check before this.
>
> I'm wondering if there are any ways to speed up various netbackup
> commands? I was hoping 6.5 would help with this but it doesn't.
>
> Basically, when I run things like
>
> bpimmedia -mediaid XXXXXX
>
> or
>
> bpexpdate -d 0 -m XXXXXX
>
> they can take up to 25 minutes to run per media ID, which makes things
> quite difficult.
>
> I'm guessing the image DB is being trawled, but our catalog isn't huge -
> it's only 120gb or so. The server is a V490 with 8GB of RAM.
>
> Where could the bottleneck be, and what tuning can be done?

Bottleneck is you need to specify the hostname the media server came from:

bpexpdate: -m <media id> -d <mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS | 0 | infinity>
              [-host <name>] [-force] [-nodelete] [-notimmediate]

See -host, try using it.

To get the host information, bpmedialist -m MEDIA_ID.

Try this and tell me if you see any difference.

Justin.