Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] My Experiences with DataDomain Restorers

2008-11-11 18:27:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] My Experiences with DataDomain Restorers
From: cantonelli <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:04:24 -0500
Hi Jamie,

My Name is Chris Antonelli and I am part of the Support Team here at Data
Domain. First, I want to thank you for all the positive feedback about the
products at the top of the post... more importantly I am sorry to hear of your
frustrations on the rest of the issues. Here are some data points that I hope
will help.

While it is very rare for manufacturing flaws to cause the kind of dramatic
problem you saw with the midplane, it happened to us last year on a few units.
It was a unfortunate situation, and as soon as we figured out what the problem
was, we let our entire customer base know via the service bulletin you
mentioned. We also immediately began a pro-active replacement program to
eliminate the chance this might happen again. If we do see a serious problem,
we want to deal with it aggressively and transparently.

The host name effecting disks bug was just weird, I agree! We actually have a
fix for this in version 4.5.2.5 which is currently "Initial Availability". The
qualified drive model/unsupported drive error is resolved in our upcoming
4.5.3.0 maintenance release.

We have also been guilty of preventatively failing drives that exhibit weak
behavior. This is done in the spirit of providing the highest level of data
protection, but I can see how this might have seemed intrusive.

No storage company is perfect, but the good ones listen to their customers and
improve quickly based upon that feedback...that is our mission. If I can help
in any way in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

Sincerely,
Chris Antonelli
Customer Services Program Manager
Data Domain, Inc.