Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Encrypting offsite tapes

2008-11-11 13:49:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Encrypting offsite tapes
From: "Kelley, Travis" <travis.kelley AT etrade DOT com>
To: "Rongsheng Fang" <unixlifebox AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:38:05 -0500
I'm not aware of how the licensing works for the LTO4s in an SL500.  I'm
not sure why you'd need a license from Sun to activate this encryption
since it's a built in feature of LTO4 tape drives.  I wonder if they
were referring to licensing key management software from them?

If you use the netbackup key management, bptm sends the keys to the
drive when it requests a tape be mounted if that tape is coming from and
ENCR_* prefixed policy.  Hence a drive use encryption for one backup
(when using a tape form an ENCR_* pool) and not encrypt the next backup
(when writing to a tape from a non ENCR_* pool).  Obviously encrypted
and non-encrypted backups will not be able to be multiplexed onto the
same tape and once a tape has encyrpted data on it all further data will
be encrypted (since it would now be part of an ENCR_* prefixed pool)
until the tape expired.  The volume pool is the key to netbackups
encryption key management.  Here is a good pdf describing the
functionality:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Serv
er/302438.pdf

I have no idea if netbackup is going to start charging for their KMS
functionality in future releases.