Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Warning about HP-UX 11.11 patch PHSS_38154

2008-11-11 13:39:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Warning about HP-UX 11.11 patch PHSS_38154
From: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:28:32 -0500
PHSS_38154 supersedes a bunch of patches listed as being required in the
NetBackup 6.5 release notes.

Unfortunately, it ALSO supersedes PHSS_30968, a patch which "Symantec
recommends that you do not install". They recommend that because if you do
install it, bpbkar on a client being backed up fails (before doing anything)
with the message "aCC runtime: Use of "-mt" must be consistent during both
compilation and linking." (I think this has something to do with linking with
the OS's pthreads library and differences between the HP and Veritas build
chains, but don't quote me on that.)

We're awaiting response from each vendor but, for now, if your HP Account
Advocate suggests you install patch PHSS_38154 on any HP-UX 11.11 system where
you run NetBackup (really, any: this affects the client portion's behavior),
don't do it.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
Radian Group Inc, Unix/Linux/VMware Sysadmin / Backup & Recovery