Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi

2008-11-10 10:09:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi
From: "Stafford, Geoff" <GStafford AT barclaycardus DOT com>
To: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>, Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:53:37 -0500
>>OST isn't NAS/CIFS.  It's a completely different protocol.  Tests on
DD
show it to be at least 100% faster than CIFS.  (FWIW)  Also, it can be
done over Fibre Channel, as some other vendors are working on.

- I don't think it's really accurate to refer to OST as a protocol
although I have seen DD do it, it's an API but this is really just
semantics.  In its current mode, the data path is over the LAN which is
what's important as it can be a significant bottleneck.  Unless
something has changed very recently, DD will not present disk and do OST
over FC.

http://www.datadomain.com/pdf/DataDomain-OST-Datasheet.pdf

>>I objected to the "short version" so strongly because Quantum sales
reps
apparently continue to propagate it as a sales tactic, and that's just
BS.  IMHO, it shouldn't in any way factor into your decision on which
product to buy.

- For the record, I've never heard that from Quantum and I was just
being lazy and didn't want to go deep into the legal side.

Curtis -

As we objectively discuss the pluses and minuses of the various
deduplication technologies out there, don't you think full disclosure
would be in order and it would be customary to mention that Glasshouse
is a partner of Data Domain?

http://www.datadomain.com/partners/technology-partners.html#glasshouse

Geoff Stafford
Barclaycard US
Data Protection Engineering
office:
mobile:

Barclays             www.barclaycardus.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity who is the intended recipient. Unauthorized use of this information is
prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender by
replying to this message and delete this material from any system it may be on.