Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What are your thoughts on filesystem monitoring?

2008-11-06 16:52:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What are your thoughts on filesystem monitoring?
From: MPish44 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:58:00 -0500
In our organization we have a hole in the process between our unix and backup
teams.

We use includes vs. excludes for our misc. filesystem type backups.

The Unix team rarely tells us when they add a new filesystem on a server.  At
current we have left it at a "If you don't tell us we don't know about it" but
that is neither proactive nor productive.

One of the members of our backup team that was formerly a member of the storage
team has a script in place that sends him an email whenever a filesystem is
added to a Unix server.  His suggestion is that we take the initiative and add
these filesystems to the backups whenever a new one comes in.

My thought is while that is great perhaps its time to move to an "excludes"
type of system, granted its a manual effort across hundreds of Unix servers and
we will probably have to manage the excludes in many the same ways...

Thoughts?  Am I making sense?