Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows x64 media servers & SSO - tape driver?

2008-11-05 11:28:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows x64 media servers & SSO - tape driver?
From: "Marianne Van Den Berg" <mvdberg AT stortech.co DOT za>
To: <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 18:11:57 +0200

Hi all

Anybody out there with x64 Windows SSO media servers on 6.5.x that can share success story?

We have a media server with Emulex HBA’s and IBM LTO2 as well as HP LTO3 drives. Obviously we had to install manufacturers’ drivers.

When another media server (Solaris and/or Tru64) had one of these drives in use, the drive went into ‘MISSING’ state on the Wx64 media server. The only way to fix it, was to rescan when no drives were in use. In a 24x7 environment this was not possible and this media server eventually became unusable.

This media server was recently re-installed with 32-bit O/S, exact same hardware – only difference was that we could install Veritas tape drivers. All the previous problems ‘magically’ disappeared…

We have more customers that need to use Wx64 media servers in SSO environment… Would like to hear other users’ experience…

Kind Regards

Marianne