Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

2008-10-24 10:14:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:01:06 +1100
Agreed. Generally you don't want to be specifying what you DO want to
backup. I think you should, by default, backup everything, then
specify the exceptions that you DON'T want to backup.

I've been doing storage and backup management for longer than I care
to mention, and the number one rule is, it's better to be safe than
sorry.

But I do see Matt's point. Of the 400-odd clients we backup, there are
2 where the read-from-disk performance is so bad that I can only run
one stream at a time. These 2 clients get their own policy with
ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, but with "allow multiple streams" turned off.

There are always going to be exceptions, but I believe the default
policy should be ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES with multiple streams.

- Dean