Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fail to update in bpmedialist after assign by vmquery -assig

2008-10-23 22:45:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fail to update in bpmedialist after assign by vmquery -assig
From: naymyotun <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:26:54 -0400
Dear Sirs,
I need ur kind assistance..I have a few volume pools in my netbackup server.
Each volume pools has a few medias ( tapes ) assigned to it. Unfortunately,all
the media ( tapes ) assigned to one of the volume pools are expired and cannot
be used back for backup. So I deassign the tapes using " vmquery -deassignbyid
xxxx " and reassign back to the original pool using " vmquery  -assignbyid
xxxx".

           But when I check the current backup tape list using  this command
"bpmedialist -U" , I  cannot see in the backup inventory list but all those
tapes are still physically inside the tape library and still in the volume
pool. So I did try the command " bpexpdate -ev " media id" -d "mm/dd/yyyy" , I
saw the following error message.

[b]"requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume
database.[/b]In fact , my intention is to be able to backup the servers which
are using the media tapes in this particular pool. Currently the tapes in this
particular pool are expired. The error message when I use " bpmedialist -U " is
as follow.

Server Host =   PLUTO

 id        rl     images   allocated           last updated        density
kbytes restores
                  vimages   expiration          last read           <-------
STATUS ------->
TAPE11   3     22    08/17/2008 01:35  09/09/2008 15:16    hcart  297765696
  0
                    22   10/10/2008 15:16        N/A                    EXPIRED

volume pool name =  PLUTO_LTO

               Inside this volume pool, I have  TAPE1, TAPE2,....... up to .,
TAPE11 .But when I chk using "bpmedialist -U", I can see the above message and
cannot see the TAPE1, ......, TAPE10. But I can see these tapes ( TAPE1,....,
TAPE10) in the volume pool, PLUTO_LTO, using the GUI .

               Kindly tell me step by step how  to reuse all these tapes ,
TAPE1, .........., TAPE11 so that servers are able to backup using this volume
pool

 KIndly please help me to advise what to do next. Currently I am running
"netbackup 3.4 " edition on solaris 7 version. I feel depress since the problem
was for quite a few days and all servers inside this volume pools are not able
to backup / restore anymore