Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

2008-10-21 18:21:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Nathan Kippen" <nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:09:50 -0400

We typically segregate OS and basic install backups from Application and Database backups so would never use the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.   For any given host we might have multiple policies depending on how many different “environments” it is supporting.   (For example we have one server that has Oracle middle tier for about 15 different environments – each of these would have a separate policy [if backed up at all] and that would be separate from what we call the “OS” policy.)    It would be hard to do that with the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES specification.

Also for Databases we would have different policies and each of those might have multiple streams (and in some cases in line copies) so again ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES wouldn’t work for us.

The note about “if backed up at all” is because many of the Test/Dev environments are not backed up.   This is on the theory that if they die rather than restoring from a Test/Dev we’d simply refresh from a recent Prod backup instead.