Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore Testing Frequency of LTO-4 Tapes

2008-10-11 14:17:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore Testing Frequency of LTO-4 Tapes
From: McCormick <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:54:26 -0400
I was hoping anyone might have some experience with this.  Currently we need to
perform test restores of duplicates that are routinely shipped offsite to Iron
Mountain for storage.  We need to test them after they return in order to
ensure that our shippers (FedEx, UPS, etc.) aren't subjecting the media to any
environments (x-ray, temps, etc.) that might compromise the LTO-4 (Ultrium 4)
tapes.

What we need to determine is how often it is needed to test this returned
media.  Are there any norms that the industry uses?  Or is it pretty much just
a subjective thing?  We were considering 1, maybe 2 times per year.

Any suggestiong are greatly appreciated in advance.

Sean