Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media id generation rules

2008-10-09 13:44:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media id generation rules
From: "Deiter, Scott" <scottd AT HanoverDirect DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:30:07 -0400

At a remote site when the our local staff introduces new tape volumes
into the robot the media id generated is not what is expected.  When I
do the robot inventory from the master server the media id generation
rules are set and the media id created is what is expected.    We are
running 6.5.2.a on all machines.
Master/media server is solaris 9 the media server is solaris 9.  the
admin consoles are running on xp workstations.

We expect the volume with a barcode of NJ0001S to generate a media id of
NJ0001.
Without the media id generation rules being set the generated media id
is J0001S on the remote machines running the admin console.

Is there a way to force the media id generation rules out from the
master?
Do we have to set the same rule on every machine that requests a robot
inventory?

Scott Deiter
System Administrator
Hanover Direct, Inc.