Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Legato vs. NetBackup

2008-10-01 17:21:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Legato vs. NetBackup
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: Steve Quan <sq01 AT yorku DOT ca>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 16:01:22 -0500

I think what he meant is, in a general sense, you're going to be locked in to pretty much any vendor, not just Symantec/NBU, due to how it operates with the library and tape media. Not very many installed solutions will allow sharing the library, and they definitely won't allow you to share media or servers. So at a minimum you'll have to buy new tapes and servers, plus the software costs. Hence, locked in.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Steve Quan <sq01 AT yorku DOT ca>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

10/01/2008 03:53 PM

Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
cc
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu, "BeDour, Wayne" <WBedour AT lear DOT com>
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Legato vs. NetBackup

I'm surprised about the "locked in" comment. Can you explain ?

We were a Legato NetWorker shop that was persuaded to go the Veritas NetBackup
route because of their pricing. Seems that they've gotten more expensive and our
experience since NetBackup 6.0 didn't help either. Other backup vendors
are starting to get more attention ...

/Steve
---