Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Legato vs. NetBackup

2008-10-01 16:42:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Legato vs. NetBackup
From: Bluejay AT fujigreenwood DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:59:37 -0400
> EMC has grabbed my managers ear and wants to demo Legato.  We’ve
> been running NetBackup since 3.4 and I’m in no hurry to change.
> Anyone out there with any Legato vs. NetBackup thoughts?

Be sure to ask what the cost would be to purchase all the required Legato
licenses, and extra media to use while your environment transitions from
one backup product to another (you'll probably want to set aside all your
NetBackup tapes until they retire, while maintaining a server that can
restore from them).

We previously had both a NetBackup and a NetWorker installation here. The
deciding factor  for which one to consolidate on came down to the cost of
purchasing the additional licenses: we'd have needed to purchase a lot
more NetWorker licenses than NetBackup licenses due to the asymmetry of
the installations.

                                                                      -
Bluejay Adametz

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
-Noel Coward