Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU catalog backups hot vs cold

2008-09-25 12:45:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU catalog backups hot vs cold
From: Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:07:15 +0100
guys i'm newish to version 6 and one of the big things is it's ability
to run hot catalogue backups.

Im on solaris with various media servers yada yada

I'm just confused as to why running a hot catalogue backup, potentially
when other backups are running, is a good thing?

I have the catalogues cold backed up when scheduled backups have
finished. This runs automatically.
I also do a second catalogue backup to disk (invoked from a script
calling bpbackupdb -dpath) which waits until any job has finished before
running.

I just assume this is the best way as you get an up to date latest
catalogue backup after the nights backups have finished.

Can someone enlighten me or point me to a white paper as to why the hot
method is better?

I'm sure it is i just can't get it into my small head why at the mo :)

Cheers