Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Filesystems for Linux NBU catalog

2008-09-17 00:21:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Filesystems for Linux NBU catalog
From: "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:04:13 +0800
    0n Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 07:47:04PM +0000, A Darren Dunham wrote:

    >Does anyone have any experience with using other linux filesystems for
    >NBU catalog hosting?  I'm wondering if XFS would perform better over
    >time.  Or perhaps I could make some tuning decisions on ext3 for better
    >long-term resistance to fragmentation.

XFS's strength is I/O on _large_ files e.g. Video, Audio etc. SGI poured
millions of $ into XFS to handle massive datasets for mostly the video
and mininging worlds.

I'm not sure of the internals of the NB catalog to say XFS is a good solution.

 -aW

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT
1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.