Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Filesystems for Linux NBU catalog

2008-09-16 16:20:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Filesystems for Linux NBU catalog
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:47:04 +0000
I've noticed that hosting my NBU catalog on linux/ext3 seems to lead to
a lot of fragmentation and performance problems.

I copied off and back my catalog to defrag it, and catalog backups took
about half as long, and had consistent speed throughout.  It's now been
many months since then, and performance has gone back down again, with
speed going up and down during a catalog backup.  With my catalog
approaching 900G, I don't really want to do a full fs rebuild if I don't
have to.

Does anyone have any experience with using other linux filesystems for
NBU catalog hosting?  I'm wondering if XFS would perform better over
time.  Or perhaps I could make some tuning decisions on ext3 for better
long-term resistance to fragmentation.

Thanks for suggestions...
--
Darren