Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Switching Catalog from AIX to Windows

2008-09-15 22:36:37
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Switching Catalog from AIX to Windows
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Mike Day" <mike.day AT inovis DOT com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 21:19:33 -0500
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Mike Day <mike.day AT inovis DOT com> wrote:

I'm doing some project planning on a potential move from AIX for my master media server to Windows.  The current version I'm running is 5.1 MP7 on the AIX box. I migrated from Windows about 5 years ago on a 3.x or 4.x sever.  I called Symantec and asked if this could be done and they said no - the catalogs are not compatible.

This is only partially true - the catalogs are not compatible.  However, it can be done.  It's just not a part of the product.

I wanted a second opinion so I Googled this and others have attempted migration … but Symantec will not support it unless I pay them for a consultant? http://support.veritas.com/docs/267137

This isn't quite accurate.  What Symantec won't support is the actual migration itself.  If you break it, you get to keep both pieces.  However, if you successfully migrate to another platform, they will fully support you after that.  We migrated from Windows to Solaris (back on 3.4) and I can tell you without a doubt that we are currently fully supported by Symantec.

How fair is that?  Over 10 years of us using Netbackup to backup 200 clients, oodles of database licenses … so we've invested at least half a million dollars in licensing fees over the years and now we need to pay Symantec to migrate the catalog for us and if we do it ourselves it will no longer be supported?

It's not just the catalog.  It's the media database too.  If you feel you're a large enough customer, feel free to contact your sales rep and see if he can arrange for free or reduced-cost consulting your way.

If you know what you're doing, or can figure out how to do the migration, go right ahead.  You should, obviously, have a backout plan, if your migration is not successful.    There have been multiple hints posted here from people who have done it.  Note, however, that the instructions change from release to release.  I expect that it will be easier to do under 5.1 than it will be under 6.0 - not just because more people have done it, but also because you don't have the new EMM database to worry about.

It will certainly be easier if you can keep the source and target host names identical - it will be less work.  Watch for line breaks carefully - they'll make or break your migration - and some of the standard Unix tools (dos2unix, unix2dos) won't work on files >2GB.    Some files need conversion and some don't.

.../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org