Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Flash Backup Bugs - 6.5.2

2008-09-14 10:54:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Flash Backup Bugs - 6.5.2
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:12:07 -0500
On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:24 AM, rvadde <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

Just want to share the bugs we identified with Flash Backups on NBU 6.5.2. Symantec is continuing their tradition of breaking flash backups with every major release.

We have experienced no additional issues with Flash Backups in 6.5.2 that we didn't already have in earlier releases.   We use Flash extensively for both Windows and Solaris clients.

a) The old method of specifying the cache partitions in policy includes does not work. The Flash Backup Admin Guide specifically mentioned that it will work  - but it won't.

It works fine for us on a Solaris client.

b) For every raw partition that is mentioned in the policy includes list - snap is created during the parent job. Even the actual backup is not active snap is created upfront.

This is the way it worked in 6.5.1 and perhaps earlier.  I logged it as a bug but was told it's not a bug.  Both of us obviously disagree with Symantec.

c) There is a limit to the max. number of snaps - which is 64. That means you cannot have more than 64 raw file systems in the includes list.

I actually use a single policy per raw file system.  This works around your bug in b. It would probably also help with c.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org