Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Fragment Size Any Guidance

2008-09-14 04:33:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Fragment Size Any Guidance
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 04:08:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008, rvadde wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Is there some one who has recommendations about the Fragment Size for Tape
> Drive Storage Units (Physical and Virtual)? With newer faster tape drives -
> do we really need to fragment the backup images? I know the benifits of
> fragmenting - to position to a specific file quickly which helps the
> reoveries. But it seems when we use fragmenting - for every fragment the tape
> has to position which stops streaming and slows down.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

The difference is between the time to backup vs. time to seek to restore.
Smaller fragment size = faster to seek and restore, larger fragment size =
longer time to seek and restore.

No fragments? It could take 2hrs+ to get to the end of the tape (seeking)
on LTO-2 for example to restore a 1 kilobyte file.

Justin.