Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problems Uninstalling BMR 6.5.2

2008-08-01 15:06:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problems Uninstalling BMR 6.5.2
From: "JAJA (Jamie Jamison)" <jamisonj AT zgi DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:53:16 -0700
I upgraded my Solaris 10 NetBackup master to 6.5.2A by doing a clean
install of 6.5 and then upgrading to 6.5.2A and everything went well up
until the point where I wanted to start backups. nbemm would not start
and nothing I could do would make it start nor would it run in console
mode. I tried rolling back to 6.5 and was able to successfully uninstall
patches until I got to uninstalling BMR. When I run NB.update.uninstall
to uninstall BMR I get an error message that says:

Running preuninstall script.
See /usr/openv/pack/pack.history for more details.
/usr/openv/pack/NB_BMR_6.5.2/save/VrtsNB_BMR_6.5.2.preuninstall:
Running. Hardware/OS Type=Solaris/Solaris10
Downgrading NBDB:
/usr/openv/db/bin/nbdb_upgrade -dbn BMRDB -downgrade

ERROR: /usr/openv/db/bin/nbdb_upgrade -dbn BMRDB -downgrade command
failed.
Unable to downgrade database to original level. Refer to the
log file in /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/nbdb for more information.
Rerun Vrts_pack.uninstall once the problem has been resolved.

Pack uninstall failure.

Exiting NB_update.uninstall

Then if I try to manually run the command to downgrade the BMR database
I get the following error message:

root@kira on (pts/6) at 00:10:36, Fri Aug 01
/usr/openv/pack/NB_BMR_6.5.2/save
174> /usr/openv/db/bin/nbdb_upgrade -dbn BMRDB -downgrade
Verifying the running version of BMRDB ...

Verification Failed.

So at this point I'm stuck because I can't finish the rollback to 6.5
from 6.5.2A. Fortunately I was able to fall back to my current 6.0
environment and start backups so I'm not totally screwed but I do need
to get 6.5 running. Is there a way I can just do a complete and total
uninstall of 6.5 instead of just a rollback from the current, broken
6.5.2A install to see if I can get that running?

As always thanks in advance for any help, advice or commiseration you
can send my way.

Jamie Jamison
Network Systems Administrator
ZymoGenetics