Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] IBM Pseries backups over IVE

2008-07-31 21:13:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] IBM Pseries backups over IVE
From: Dale King <dale AT daleking DOT org>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:00:01 +1000
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 05:21:55PM -0400, Stafford, Geoff wrote:
> Anyone ever configured Pseries backups this way?  I have searched far
> and wide
> and have not been able to find any BDPs for backing up this hardware.

Yes, we've done it this way on p5.  You will need to tweak host files on
your master server as your internal VLAN is not visible to the master,
so the metadata needs to go via the external LAN address.  The actually
backup data is then constrained to the high speed internal VLAN.

Don't forget to change the MTU on the interfaces on the internal VLAN NIC
- we use 65394 which dramtically reduces hypervisor overhead due to
fragmentation.  Note that this won't work if you intend to route your
internal VLAN externally.

HTH,
Dale