Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Exagrid

2008-07-30 10:45:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Exagrid
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Fergus Donohue" <Fergus.Donohue AT dcu DOT ie>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:10:25 -0500
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Fergus Donohue <Fergus.Donohue AT dcu DOT ie> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. They sell a NAS based de-dupe device very
similar in concept to Data Domain, but it does post-process rather than
in-line de-dupe. Price-wise they appear very competitive and I was
wondering if anyone had any real-world experience with them.

The gum actually wasn't that bad :-)

I spent an hour or so on the phone with ExaGrid discussing our environment and whether or not their product was a possible fit for us.  In the end, we decided to not pursue an onsite evaluation.  We had previously evaluated DataDomain but did not end up buying that either.

They seem to be reasonable guys to talk to and the product seems okay - it just wasn't the right tool for us.  Kudos to their sales rep for not trying to force their products down our throats when they're not appropriate - I'm glad to see that some vendors still have some ethics.

.../Ed
Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org