Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Shared memory issue with Solaris 10

2008-07-28 02:51:33
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Shared memory issue with Solaris 10
From: "Johan Redelinghuys" <johan.redelinghuys AT stg.co DOT za>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:34:10 +0200
Hi

This is what we usually do to find the best performance in an
environment. It is good and well to say 64 buffers with a size of 262144
but this is not necessarily the best in another environment. For you
environment, do the following.

1. Take a 2 to 3 GB file and back it up without any buffer files. Take
note of throughput. This will be base throughput (8 x 65536).
2. Do same test with 16 buffers and size of 65536, then 32 with 65536
and then 64 with 65536. Take note of best throughput with 65536 size.
3. Do same test with 16 buffers and size of 131072, then 32 with 131072
and then 64 with 131072. Take note of best throughput with 131072 size.
4. Do same test with 16 buffers and size of 262144, then 32 with 262144
and then 64 with 262144. Take note of best throughput with 262144 size.
5. Then set your buffers to the best throughput from tests from 1,2 and
3.
6. Remember to add same buffer files on your media servers.

Usually the best settings are:
In /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config -

NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 32
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE = 32
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS = 131072

As everybody said, 3072 will def give you shared memory issues.

JR