Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup verify at write time

2008-07-23 06:59:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup verify at write time
From: Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:44:58 +0100
Guys management here are fussing around how are we sure backups are
successful or they can be restored from without doing an actual restore.

I was under the impressions that some sort of verify or sum check
operation was done at write time and that if a status 0 was returned it
was a pretty good indication backups would be able to be restored.

Taking all physical factors aside ( e.g tapes being bashed around making
them unusable ) the other way to verify is using bpverify but i'm just
wondering if its needed.

Anyone shed any light on this for me?

I know the only sure fire way of knowing a backup is fine is performing
a restore, but unless a full restore is done (which has its own problems
of space etc) then what other assurances are there?

Netbackup 5.0MP7, 6.0MP4 on a mixture of Solaris 9 and 10

Cheers