Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] question about bplist

2008-07-21 11:14:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] question about bplist
From: rascal <rascal1981 AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:43:11 -0500
So while I sit here going over why our backups have jumped from 2gb to 2tb (not exaggerating either lol) I thought I might use some creative bpimagelist work to generate a per day tape consumption.  That worked well, but what about what policies are consuming that data?  No problem, back to bpimagelist for more good information.  But still, I am not able to narrow down precisously where the issue is.  So I thought, what about using bplist?  An evil tool to be sure, which is why I come to you humble masters of Netbackup.

I have constructed what I thought would be a good command but I am running into an error.  Here is my command:

bplist -C clientname -S svrname -k policy_name -R -l -s 07/1/2008 00:00:00 -e 07/1/2008 23:59:59 > /$HOME/policy_name_070108

but I get this error

Status 227:  Entity not found

Ok, well let's make sure my information is there:

ls -ltr /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/svrname/

confirmed; dates match with logs

Ok, well how about this, just to make sure we are not insane?

bplist -C clientname -S svrname -R -l -s 07/1/2008 00:00:00 -e 07/1/2008 23:59:59 /path_to_dir_backed_up_by_policy > /$HOME/policy_name_070108

Well that works fine; I get the data I want, except as you can imagine without some scripting this could be a pain and of course, human error and such could come into play.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong or what could I do to get the information I want which is a breakdown of how much is backed with a file listing and the amounts next to the file?  Is this the wrong command or is there a better way to go about this?

--
Matthew MCP, MCSA, MCTS, OCA
rascal1981 AT gmail DOT com

Define Trouble: