Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Compression of catalog images

2008-07-16 20:11:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Compression of catalog images
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Abhishek Dhingra1 <abhishek.dhingra AT in.ibm DOT com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:49:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Abhishek Dhingra1 wrote:

> Justin,
>
>  What is the impact of doing the restore, does it take more time.if yes,
> then hw much,
>
> We have around 1000 clients in our environment, with no free window.
>
> As per the document , compression run after the each backup session, as we
> dont have any free window, if we configure the compression at what time
> compression will run.
>
> Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Abhishek,

Best to do test restores, it can impact it quite a bit if you are restoring
many small files, up to 10-30 minutes on slower disks & I/O subsystems.

You also need to have enough space to decompress the compressed images.

It depends on the I/O / where the images are stored.
It depends on how many files you are restoring.

Justin.