Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5.1 using VCB and Mapped FullVM (Option 2)

2008-07-13 14:42:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5.1 using VCB and Mapped FullVM (Option 2)
From: "George Winter" <george_winter AT symantec DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:20:52 -0700
Hi Juan.

When running a NBU for VMware policy each backup creates two jobs in the
NBU Activity Monitor.  The first job creates and deletes the VMware
snapshot.  The second job that you see in the activity monitor is the
one that performs the actual backup.

With the release of NBU 6.5.1, the number of simultaneous snapshots that
can be created at any time is limited to 1.    NetBackup engineering has
created a fix for 6.5.1 so that an unlimited number of snapshots can be
created at any time.  You can obtain this fix for 6.5.1 by contacting
Symantec support.  This has been fixed in 6.5.2.  With 6.5.2, you can
run an unlimited number of simultaneous snapshots.

That said, best practices would dictate that you keep the number of
simultaneous snapshots low to ensure snapshot creation and deletion
reliability.  There is a NBU for VMware Best Practices doc that
discusses this in detail.  This doc can be found here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/whitepapers.jsp?pcid=2244&pvid
=2_1

-George Winter