Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Master/Media server input

2008-07-10 17:19:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Master/Media server input
From: "Clausen, Matt R [EQ]" <Matthew.R.Clausen AT Embarq DOT com>
To: Jonathan Dyck <jdyck AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>, "Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:58:38 -0500
I've seen a couple of whitepapers out there on them, but the Sun Enterprise
T5220 servers seem to scream as a media server. I'm actually redoing my
NetBackup environment as well and I'm going to a Dedicated Master Server + 3
Media Servers (each Media server in a different location).

My master server is going to be a reused Sun SunFire v440 to handle all the
Database operations necessary on the master server. The media servers are going
to be all T1/T2 based servers because of their superior I/O handling over the
USIIIi/USIV/USIV+ (not to mention they're cheaper then those class of machines).

One media server is going to have 6 4Gb/s FC HBAs running, one will have 4
HBAs, and the last one will 4xU320s.

Master Server will be Solaris 10 (SPARC)
Media Servers will be mixed (two will be Sol10 SPARC and one will be a
Sol10_x64 server)

If you do go with Solaris, I cannot stress this enough... Disable tcp_fusion!
Disable tcp_fusion! Disable tcp_fusion!

This little vixen was responsible for a big list of headaches with tape
duplication, catalog backups failing, etc.