Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Win XP client Deduplication

2008-07-05 00:14:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Win XP client Deduplication
From: "Dave Carpe" <david_carpe AT symantec DOT com>
To: "Karl Rossing" <karlr AT barobinson DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 20:50:51 -0700
See responses in-line

David K. Carpe
Principal Systems Engineer
Symantec Corporation
Office: 646.487.6012
Mobile: 908.963.6818
Home Office: 973.940-1805
email: david_carpe AT symantec DOT com

-----Original Message-----
From: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu] On Behalf Of Karl
Rossing
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 4:55 PM
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Win XP client Deduplication

I have 75 windows client that I would like to backup over the wan. I
can't use DLO since we don't have a Windows Domain. I would like to do
client deduplication.

I have a few questions in order to verify what I understand.

Is there some deduplication built into NB 6.5.2/6.5.3 Win XP client?
[DKC] No, there is no deduplication in the basic client

If I have to purchase PureDisk 6.5, I have further questions.
1) If a client has two files with the same data, do both files get sent
to the Netbackup Server?
[DKC] If both files are identical the all the fingerprints will be
identical. If the fingerprint exists anywhere within the PureDisk Global
Environment, the data associated with that fingerprint will not be
backed up. Fingerprints are 128K in size. So the first file will get
backed up and the second file will simply have meta data indicating the
fingerprints that are already in the storage pool that contain that
file's data.

2) If I have two clients with the same files, do both files get sent to
the Netbackup Server?
[DKC] No. The first one that gets backed up will send the data
associated with it's fingerprints to PureDisk. The next server will see
that fingerprints already exist for its files and will not be backed up
and the metabase will associate that client's files with the appropriate
fingerprints.
3) Do I need to update the Netbackup Client to support PureDisk?
[DKC] The NetBackup 6.5 Client includes the PureDisk 6.5 Client.

Thanks
Karl

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This communication (including all attachments)
is
confidential and is intended for the use of the named addressee(s) only
and
may contain information that is private, confidential, privileged, and
exempt from disclosure under law.  All rights to privilege are expressly
claimed and reserved and are not waived.  Any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying or disclosure of this message and any attachments,
in
whole or in part, by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is
strictly
notify
the sender immediately, delete this communication from all data storage
devices and destroy all hard copies.