Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Probably A Stupid Question

2008-07-03 14:35:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Probably A Stupid Question
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:15:27 -0500
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Mark Glazerman <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com> wrote:

Interestingly enough I've just had confirmation from support that they do not yet have a nbdbm debug binary for Sol 10  x86 (which is why the one they gave us didn't work).  Although x86 is fully supported for both master and media servers, I wonder if this confirmation shows that they aren't quite up to speed on their troubleshooting and diagnostic tools when dealing with environments running on non SPARC hardware.

This shouldn't actually surprise anybody.  We've seen similar things with 64-bit Windows vs 32-bit Windows.  It appears that Symantec develops a patch and tests on a specific platform and then gets around to testing it on all of the supported platforms as they go through the formal QA cycles.  If you need the x86 version of the patch, you need to specifically request that so they can test it for you.  It's not that they're not up to speed on troubleshooting and diagnostics at all - it's the time it takes to go through full QA and that's when you get an Engineering binary, that's what you're giving up.  The patch (if applicable) will be fully tested on all of the supported platforms before the next formal release that includes it.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE