Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU Flashbackup vs Normal Backup

2008-07-02 11:48:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU Flashbackup vs Normal Backup
From: "Ueli Schweizer" <ueli.schweizer AT agite-software DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:20:40 -0300
Flashbackup backups data by reading block after block (physical order). If a
file is not stored in consecutive blocks on disk it will not be stored in
consecutive blocks on tape. If you restore such a file the data has to be
collected from different positions of a tape or, even worst, from different
positions on multiple tapes. That of course leads to slower file restores,
although NetBackup does a great optimization job on that.

This disadvantage is as bigger as more fragmented your data on disk is.

On the other hand, if you need to restore the whole disk it will be much
faster, because you read consecutive disk blocks from tape and there is
nearly no disk positioning necessary.

Ueli Schweizer
CTO

AGITE Software AG · Boesch 43 · CH-6331 Huenenberg · Switzerland
Direct: +41 79 204 9190 · Phone: +41 41 781 5678 · Fax: +41 41 781 5677
Ueli.Schweizer AT AGITE-Software DOT com · http://www.AGITE-Software.com

backupVISUAL?...
                    ...we make life on backup easy