Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows 2-node cluster backup

2008-06-16 12:39:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows 2-node cluster backup
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "Michael Graff Andersen" <mian71 AT gmail DOT com>, "Kennedy, Cameron" <Cameron.Kennedy AT bovislendlease DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:04:03 -0400
I just looked it up.  I think the HOSTS file entries will work but the
supported Netbackup way is documented as follows.

Establish the permissions settings as follows for a redirected restore to a
different client: On the master server, either:
■ Create a file called
install_path\NetBackup\db\altnames\No.Restrictions
or
■ Create each of the files,
install_path\NetBackup\db\altnames\NODEA,
install_path\NetBackup\db\altnames\NODEB.

From the Administrator's guide:

To allow redirected restores of a client's files
The NetBackup administrator can permit a single client to restore the backups
that belong to another client. Create a peername file on the NetBackup master
server of the requesting client as described here.
Note: The information within this section applies to restores made using the
command line, not the Backup, Archive, and Restore client interface.
Create an altnamesdirectory in the following location, then place the peername
file inside of the directory:
Install_path\NetBackup\db\altnames\peername Where peername is the client to
possess restore privileges. Add to the peernamefile the names of the client(s)
whose files the requesting client wants to restore.
The requesting client can restore the files that were backed up by another
client if:
■ The names of the other clients appear in the peername file, and

Basically the altnames\NODE files are individual No.restrictions permissions
for hosts.  I'm working on testing the scenario here but I think the idea is to
create a NODE file in that directory for each node fo the cluster then put the
SQL Resrouce name into the text file.  Then your physical nodes will be allowed
to backup under the cluster's identity?

-Jonathan