Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog backup exiting with Status code 2 - unable to verify nbdb database

2008-06-09 20:55:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog backup exiting with Status code 2 - unable to verify nbdb database
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:11:32 -0500

I’ve had a ticket open with Symantec for over a week now regarding our catalog backups randomly failing with a status code 2.  We are running NBU 6.5.1 on Solaris 10 x86.

We have a hot catalog policy which runs on 3 different schedules. A daily full (every morning at 6am), day incremental (every hour from 7am to 6pm) and night incremental (every 3 hours from 6pm to 6am). 2 weekends ago the catalog failed with an error code 2 (Error Validating NBDB backup in /usr/openv/db/staging).  It hasn’t happened since this incident 2 weekends ago

We were able to get the catalog to run again successfully by restarting NBU after a reboot of our master server but our question is why does the catalog suddenly fail in the first place and after this failure, why does a simple re-boot get it all working again ?

We had similar issues soon after upgrading to 6.5 where we were advised to delete our existing catalog policy, restart NBU and then create a new one. In that case automated catalogs would not run but we could manually kick them off without any problems.

1st and 2nd level support have been unable to work out the issue based on logs we have sent them.  They are trying to find out where NBU logs information on this validation so they can increase the logging level to try and see why the validation is sporadically failing.  They have had me run a validation command against the database which came back without error.

Anyone seen anything similar while I wait for backline to talk to the development team ?

https://mysupport.symantec.com/web/images/global/1x.gif

https://mysupport.symantec.com/web/images/global/1x.gif

https://mysupport.symantec.com/web/images/global/1x.gif

Mark Glazerman

Enterprise Storage Administrator

Spartech Corporation

Desk: 314-889-8282

Fax: 314-854-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

mark.glazerman AT spartech DOT com

http://www.spartech.com

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, are intended solely for the use of the addressee, and may be legally privileged. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately, and do not copy or forward it.