Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Each stream uses different tape for RMAN 1-channel backup

2008-06-04 13:26:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Each stream uses different tape for RMAN 1-channel backup
From: "Bryan S. Leaman" <leaman AT bitbytes DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:02:32 -0400
I am running an RMAN backup to a storage unit with multiple drives on
6.5.1.  The RMAN backup is allocating only one channel as it's a small
database and there is no need to use multiple drives.  However I'm
noticing that for each new RMAN backup piece, NBU mounts a different
tape in another drive instead of using the one that is already loaded
which was used for the previous piece.  So it ends up alternating back
and forth between several tapes and using many drives in the process.
This doesn't seem very efficient.  Is there any way to prevent this?  I
don't remember seeing this with 3.4 from which I am in the process of
upgrading.

Example: RMAN backup with one channel, and 3 backup pieces

Stream/piece 1: tape 1 - drive 3
Stream/piece 2: tape 2 - drive 2
Stream/piece 3: tape 1 - drive 1

This behavior also seems to be the same that some of us have seen
recently with catalog backups, in which it will create several
streams/jobs and put them on different tapes for one catalog backup
(thread "Catalog backup = 4 separate jobs???").

Thanks for any help on this.

Bryan